Thursday 27 January 2011

The Lowry, Manchester

When I get a free day and want to get away from it all, i.e. have some time to myself and follow my nose, I like to hop on a train to Manchester, then get the Metrolink tram down to Harbour City. This is the nearest stop to The Lowry, only a short walk away, across a lovely part of the old Salford docklands.

Apart from the obvious Lowry galleries, there is an outlet shopping mall, two theatres, the Imperial War Museum and some lovely walks by the waterside. To say nothing of the intriguing architecture of the spectacularly renovated docks.

I happened to be involved in a small way in the building of the Lowry Theatres building, in as much as the company for which I worked at the time provided the scaffolding services for the construction and, maybe as a fore-runner to what I do now, sent me to the site to take photos of the scaffolds for their publicity. If only we knew at the time what some things are pointing towards. (Sorry, that's a bit deep, isn't it...).

Anyway, coming back to the whole point of this blog, the cafe in the Lowry (at the foot of the escalators to the galleries) happens to serve one of my favourite cappucinos in Manchester. In fact, were there to be a leader board for the best cappuccino in Manchester, this would be up there with the best of them.

On the rare days when I venture away from the title drink of this blog, they also do one of the best moccha's too.




For a couple of extra photos taken at the Lowry, please have a look at my other blog entry here.

No comments:

Post a Comment